Love to Hear From You

BloggingWithKerri@gmail.com

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Pizza and a Smoothie Night.

Pizza and a Smoothie Night.
It's a regular at our house.

"Veggie-Smart" sauce.
Combined with 100% tomato pulp paste.
(thickens the sauce, adds more vitamins, increases the yum-factor)
All-fruit smoothie: strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, pineapple juice, mandarin orange juice.

Full servings fruits.
Full servings veggies.
The homemade dough (grain) and cheese (dairy) combine to make a complete protein.

But tonight I did something comparable to the wicked witch with a poisoned apple.
I added 2 handfuls of spinach to that delicious smoothie.

And it was amazing.
And the kids downed it (as usual)
But this time, with more greens, folic acid, iron, and more kicks of vitamins.
And since I just learned that the iron in spinach is poorly absorbed by the body unless eaten with a source of Vitamin C (cited), eating it with the smoothie and tomatoes made it a grand slam in all regards.

Be brave.  Try it yourself.  It didn't change the flavor at all.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

That is so funny Kerri! Every morning I have make us a smoothie for breakfast and at least half of it is usually made up of spinach too. I even add sweet potato puree to it. The kids really have no clue once you add the fruit and juice!

Braden and Cheri said...

but...didn't you say you cancel out the iron when you add calcium...like the cheese in the pizza? I don't understand how all that works.

But WAY TO GO! I've been wanting to experiment with green smoothies, but I don't think right now's the time.

Kerri said...

When Alana was having her iron deficiency, the docs kept asking how much milk she was drinking, because too MUCH milk inhibits the iron absorption. A little cheese on the pizza isn't going to make a difference. Nor was the 1-2 glass of milk she'd drink per day.

The Burgoynes said...

Kerri, you do such a good job on your blog. I love reading it!

Anonymous said...

To quote Frank Sinatra...It's wicked witchcraft, but there's no nicer witch than you!

Thanks for keeping us healthy...even if you have to do it behind our backs!

Love you,

Steve