- putting a bucket of water on the top of a door to drench the floor when you come in.
- Saran wrapping the toilet seat.
- Gluing a quarter to the ground to see how many people try to pick it up. I know they're innocent, but I just don't like them.
And for another, I think I'm pretty trusting of my family and friends. Unfortunately for me, that makes me the prey on April 1 as trusting's synonym can also be gullable.
Last year I was giddy about Gmail's new feature that you could postdate an email to have sent in the past. Forgot a birthday? Send it today and it will be marked as then. Didn't send your two-week notice? Send it today, and claim the boss never opened it. I thought this was amazing. 'Til Cheri pointed out the date. HOURS into my jubilation. Thanks Ri.
This year I was giddy about my family's news about who was pregnant, who sold their house, whose entrepenuer business was booming in Chile, etc. What can I say--I am a cheerleader for those I care about! Why WOULDN'T I be excited for them? Because apparently I'm the only trusting one left in our family. Everyone else saw straight through it.
I did think that Evanston's attempt to convince residents that in order to clear snow next year, they would have to attach orange stickers to the snow they'd want plowed, similar to the garbage-pick up system they have. Or Canada's idea to offer flavored tap water on special occasions. I can laugh at that.
But the way I see it, I trust people 365 days a year. Why make it 364? Not to mention, I rarley know what date it is, let alone the day of the week..
So I tend to stay on the "made you smile and laugh" side of funny things on April Fools Day. Like the kids' upside down breakfast.
When Steve and I were newly married, I thought it would be funny to sneak in while he was showering and poor cold water over the door to surprise him. That's something my mom would have done, and I snickered all the way in. But as the water was halfway out of the cup, I panicked and thought, WHAT HAVE I DONE!!! I would NEVER want someone to do that to me!
And thankfully, Steve has loved me enough to never repay!
So now, these are the April Fools Jokes we play on each other.
We went to the train station and stuffed his car with balloons, dangled Alana's bling bling from his rear view mirror, made signs for Daddy, and saran wrapped his steering wheel (it would have been the whole outside of the car, but it was raining too hard).
It made us all laugh, and no hurt feelings at all.




No comments:
Post a Comment