Confession: I didn't feel the Mom groove today. I'm safe to say that, right? Since you've felt that way too? The kids woke up happy and charming...but within 10 minutes I realized I woke up a grump...what a bad combination. I mean, if the kids were in a funky mood, I'd feel justified having a rough day, but when they are giving me no ammunition whatsover to be in a bad mood? Not fair...that means this was all me.
So my solution to not drive everyone crazy was to keep my kids distracted as much as possible; so I was basically throwing activities to them left and right. I'm now paying the price with a new load of laundry and the family room covered in toys and it's 9:30 PM and I just finished cleaning up dinner, while there is still evidence of lunch on the counter. Here's how the day turned out:
Breakfast--this was clean. Thanks boys.
8:00-11:00
Activity 1: Exercise.
The work out video was an attempt for me to blow off some steam. It worked! I even managed a smile to see how much my kids were enthralled by the "movie", until they eventually got up and tried "dancing" with me. That ended the work out shortly thereafter. New outfit for me.
The work out video was an attempt for me to blow off some steam. It worked! I even managed a smile to see how much my kids were enthralled by the "movie", until they eventually got up and tried "dancing" with me. That ended the work out shortly thereafter. New outfit for me.2: Outside play. I insisted we stay out in the backyard for a long time since it was one of our last sunny days. I even managed to read an entire magazine--cover to cover--while they played. I got out sidewalk chalk (a cheap brand that marks up ALL clothes and won't brush off, but will ironically rub off onto any of our furniture). New outfits for both.
3: Colored Rice. Not messy on their clothes (phew, I needed a breather) but required clean up after it spilled on the patio...
**11:30-4:00: Lunch, naps, it was a gloriously quiet time..and let it be known that after the nap I was feeling much better.
4: Pudding Play. Plop the pudding on the table and let them play...cookie cutters, chop sticks for writing, cars, etc. make it that much more exciting. New outfits for both.
6: Walk around the block while dinner cooled from the oven. Not messy.
7: Dinner included sticky syrup and crumbly cornbread. Messy. Sticky. New outfits for both.
I solved this last one by plopping them in the tub. That was the easiest clean up of the day.
So looking back I guess our day turned out alright. I guess I wasn't the wicked witch/terrible mother I thought I would be today. I mean, the kids are alive aren't they? And it looks like they had a pretty good day.




5 comments:
Sounds like an incredibly busy day. And fun for the boys even if you were feeling like a grump! So that means Steve is doing the laundry, right? ;)
Sounds like a fun day to me! You are so good at finding fun activities and playing with your children. Now if you could only help Porter sit and do an activity for longer than 2 min. You're a GREAT mom Kerri and don't let you convince yourself otherwise!
every day is a great day with you at the helm, even if you don't think so.
Sounds like one of your bad days is the same as one of my best days. Where do you find all this energy?
I am very impressed with your creativity with your kids. Where do you get your ideas?
Post a Comment