Love to Hear From You

BloggingWithKerri@gmail.com

Monday, October 19, 2009

Because I ROCK!

Having a baby is awesome...paying the bills that follow=Not so fun. Unless you're me:

The other day I paid 2 of my hospital bills. I asked one magic question and ended up saving over $300!!! The question was: "Do you offer a discount if I pay in full?" (which was my full intent, anyways, but it never hurts to ask). And to my surprise the answer was YES! I got 20% off one bill, and 15% off the other! WOW!

And then, I received a bill from the anesthesiologist who was apparently out-of-network in an in-network hospital (grrrr...) and so my insurance didn't want to cover it, so they sent the whole bill to me...$300. I figured this was unacceptable, and so after talking to Humana, and then the Dr.'s office, I called Humana AGAIN and INSISTED they send my bill back to claims and have it covered. Sure enough, they covered it at 100%...Another $300 SAVED!

This is what we sometimes refer to as Madura Magic.

4 comments:

Molly said...

That's awesome!! Way to go, Kerri! I don't think you should have to ask in the middle of contractions of the anesthesiologist is in or out of network. I think the hospital should have that figured out ahead of time. That's annoying.

Emily - faliLV said...

WooHoo - can you come work on our bills too please? LOL The day we came home from the hospital with Kellan they called us to say that our deposit we had put down when we pre-registered was for a V-delivery, and we ended up with a c/s after 27 hours of labor. They asked me over the phone to pay an additional $100 deposit for the C/S! I told them to bill the insurance first, yeah we didn't have to pay that! Silly hospitals!

moorefamily said...

You go!!!!!!! I hate dealing with insurance.... I should have you do it for me from now on...lol!!!!! Your little girl is adorable!!!!!!

W.W. said...

We had that same thing happen with the anesthesiologist when we had the baby's ear tubes put in. We called them on it since the facility was in network and they took care of it. I tried that "pay in full" thing recently and unfortunately it didn't work at that particular office. But hey, it never hurts to ask, right?!