Love to Hear From You

BloggingWithKerri@gmail.com

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Did I ever tell you about the time...

Alright.  Here's a story that will blow your mind.  Maybe.  Possibly.  Depends on how hard bent you are in finding good entertainment.  But that's besides the point.  This is what happened to me, and it still blows me away.

It all starts the day after Valentines Day.  Steve got me tickets to see Les Miserables for my birthday --via my parents' generous birthday money.  It is our favorite show and we would scrounge up money to go see this ANY DAY.  It just so happens that my dear friend Ashley's birthday is close to mine, and her husband also used her parents' birthday money to go see the same show.  on the same night.  with seats right next to ours.  Coincidence?  I think not.  And that was so fun!


 The show was incredible!  So powerful!  I could end my story right there with the wonderful date that we had.  But that's not my story.  That's only half of it.  So there we were, completely wrapped up in the magic of it all -- the story, the music, the orchestra -- wow --  when Fantine sings her song, "I Dreamed A Dream."  The song gave me chills.  But not for that reason.

I turned to Steve and commented that she sounded JUST like my friend.  I sat back and enjoyed the show, but the goosebumps just got more and more intense as I listened.  Poor Steve kept getting interrupted by, "Steve, I'm sorry..I just can't let it go.  That sounds JUST like my friend Betsy."  I scrambled for enough light to look in my program, but to no avail, so I tried to swallow that strange feeling causing my heart to leap out of my chest and just enjoy the dang show, but every time she sang, I couldn't bare it.  By intermission I was convinced. 

House lights up.  Program already in place.  And then my surprised and enthusiastic yelp, that, yes, surprised the surrounding patrons and most likely embarrassed our dear double-date friends.  It WAS her!  It WAS Betsy Morgan, one of my best friends in junior high who used to sing the entire score of Phantom of the Opera in my music room as I played the piano.  It WAS Betsy Morgan who was in all the theater shows with me way back in the once upon a time times.  It WAS her!!!  I knew the starring actress of a real Broadway show! 

You have GOT to be kidding me!  And the magic of all of this was that I recognized her from her voice.  I hadn't seen Betsy for at least 12 years, but I knew her from that voice...the voice I got to know starting over 19 years ago.  And I still knew it!

So, excitedly we sent her a note via the head usher, then the stage manager, who eventually got it back to Betsy during the second act.  And then, as true Broadway Fans do, we were able to find our way to the backstage door at the end of the show and meet up with my dear friend from times past!!!  It was so much fun!

Of course, the only picture we have of us together is blurry.  Dang paparazzi.  Whoever took this picture, I'll fire them.  Sorry Brian.  But at least Ashley got Jean Valjean's autograph while we waited!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

How fun!!!! How how amazing that you remembered your friend's voice from junior high! That is so awesome and it looks like all of you had so much fun.

Katie said...

Wait, was it really a coincidence that you all had tickets together? And I love that you know your friend from just her voice! And that you were able to hook up with her after!

Evan and Rebecca Jones said...

I LOVED it too! I wonder if we had your friend playing the part of Fantine the night we went. What a fun, crazy coincidence. Did y'all try the Thai place?

Ashley said...

Awesome night, awesome story! So fun!

The Burgoynes said...

Wow, that is soo cool! I remember Betsy Morgan and your musical fests in the music room. Congrats to her!