Love to Hear From You

BloggingWithKerri@gmail.com

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Bedtime Confessions

I know I'm not the only Mom that does this:  Giving yourself a little incentive at the end of the day.  A bribe to just make it through to bedtime, or a reward for a day-well-done.  Tonight, it was an ice cream sundae.  With the works.  Trust me on this one: 

Vanilla Ice Cream,
Peanut Butter,
Melted Chocolate Chips,
Strawberries,
Bananas,
OJ Concentrate,
crushed graham crackers. 
MMMMM. 

Deserved or not, it made bedtime go so much smoother.  Especially for me.  

No matter what you call it, we all play these mental games at times.

I remember in college when I was super tired when the alarm would go off, and I'd negotiate with myself.  I'd say, "OK, Self, if you get out of bed right now to get to class on time, I promise you I'll let you come home to take a nap."...Somehow, I still have similar negotiations today.

So, time to fess up.
1)  What was your "As soon as I get the kids to bed, then I'm going to....."  Fill in the blank.  What was it last night?
or 
2)  What other common negotiations and bribes do you to set for yourself?

6 comments:

Bryson Mortensen said...

My last year of my undergraduate, I had one class on Friday mornings that I absolutely hated! So...I told myself that if I would get up to go to the class, I could bring chocolate milk with me. I would mix it up in a nalgene bottle and make it last the entire class.

Evan and Rebecca Jones said...

Um is this last night or every night? Pretty much my incentive is me and a 9x13 of brownies. Who says you need a plate? Preferable your caramel brownies. :)

Katie said...

First of all, I like your new family picture A LOT! Where was that? Secondly, I give myself treats all throughout the day sometimes..."Well done, you got through that temper-tantrum, now you get a piece of fudge" and then a little later, "Good job, kids are down for naps, time to watch a movie," and then a little later, "Well, that situation wasn't handled all that well...but I'm sure you'll do better next time, so now you all deserve to go play outside (ok, so they'll play and I'll read)," and on and on.

Jennie said...

last night was cookies and milk usually it is something yummy to eat. I love dominicks german chocolate cake so we have that a lot after the kids are in bed. Hey us mommies do a lot; we deserve treats without having to share or be interrupted. I love sharing treats with my kids too but somehow the icecream always tastes better when I can enjoy it by myself. :)

Molly said...

Orange juice concentrate?? Everything else in that mix made sense to me but the orange juice. :)

Last night I thought, "As soon as Graham goes to sleep, I'm going to do nothing." And I meant it. Sit on the couch and do NOTHING and then go to bed really early. I was in bed by 9:15pm. I was tired and my brain was fried.

Although I did have a couple spoonfuls of nutella. Sheer boredom.

Chelsea said...

Hey I found your blog so i thought I would let you know I will be reading from now on! :) Oh and I like the ice cream idea, only I have way too much baby weight to lose before i can play that game... :(