
I love General Conference! I can't help but notice a personal change in my experience with conferences now that I'm also attending to the needs of my small kids. There are so many packets and activities floating around right now for kids to be entertained and focused during conference, but they're geared to really 5 years and up. Do you have ideas for a 2 1/2 year old?
Also, your opinion as to what should be realistically expected out of a 2 year old for 4 2-hour sessions of conference would be greatly appreciated, too.
Here are some ideas I've come up with:
Have 1 new "Conference" activity per session. If I get really ambitious, 1 per half hour would be more appropriate.
- Make a file folder game out of the 12 Apostle Matching Cards
- Conference coloring book with images I get from the web, scripture people, prophets, temple, etc.
- Print out footprints and make a trail around the house. "Follow the footsteps of Christ" and find a picture of Christ at the end--a game to play during a song, perhaps.
- Have pictures of the apostles around the TV so he can look for them through Conference.
- Conference snacks for each session during the intermediate hymn (any ideas???)
- Pretzel sticks in the shape of the SL Temple, then chow down during the intermediate hymn, Click Here for a SL Temple clipart.
- Cover a picture with Graham Cracker Squares. As they eat the squares, the picture appears! Click Here for the picture of the Savior we are using (and coloring in first).



8 comments:
Honestly, I don't think any 2 1/2 year old should sit through 4 2-hour sessions of conference. Maybe one session, but no more than that. 2 1/2 year olds were not meant to sit and pay attention to some boring man talking on the TV. He may not be boring to us, but you better believe he is to a 2 1/2 year old Hahaha. Well, at least not at the church building. If you're watching it at home, then they can do church-related activities while you watch. But I have to be honest--I'd probably just let my 2 1/2 year old do what he wants as long as he's letting me watch conference. :)
I don't get much out of my two year old at church, so I don't expect much during conference. On Saturdays, we will watch it, but not require the young ones to sit and watch. Sundays we'll have them in the room and they can play little games and color, just like at church. We even offered a reward for Hayden when he was younger if he heard a certain word in conference. Like, for one talk we'd say, "tell us if you hear the word "Prophet" and we'll give you a tootsie roll." It seemed to help him at least be paying a little attention. It sounds like you've got some great ideas! You're more prepared than I!
So true, you two...so true!
Hey Kerri, well conference is halfway over, how's it going? I hope you're not wearing yourself out! Hopefully if Carter still takes naps he can take it during the afternoon session. I think doing one short "churchy or conferency" type activity per session is good to shoot for. Even for the 5 years olds. Then we try to point them towards coloring, blocks, playdoh, legos, puzzles. Quiet activities where they can still be in the room. Brooklyn actually said today, "Yea! we get to watch conference again tomorrow!" Wow.
I read this after conference , but I'm impressed with your ambition, thanks for inspiring me to be more pro-active next time! ( I'm not kidding, thank you!)
Kerri, I read this after conference, too. If you weren't able to get much of conference, it's online too, so you can watch it without the children. That's what I used to do. Just a side note, though, as they get older, (even 3 and 5) they are interested in watching conference for the most part. I remember thinking, Boooooorrrrriiiing!!! when I was that age!
Hi Steve and Kerri!! I blog hopped to find you and I'm so glad I did. It looks like you guys are doing incredibly well. Your boys are adorable and growing fast! Remember the days when we were all in Provo? Without children? Lifetime ago! =)
Kerri,
Do you know I check your blog EVERY DAY at LEAST twice hoping for an update and checking the blog roll to see who has updated. I know it's only been a few days--please don't disappoint. And...do you have "gunnfam's" email--we need to have them over for dinner sometime
Post a Comment