Love to Hear From You

BloggingWithKerri@gmail.com

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Take a Stand!

Remember this post about speaking up about inappropriate magazines in our stores?

I am impressed with your courage as I hear from you about your experience talking to store managers!  Thank you for sharing your stories!   And I just heard this comment recently, and how true:
When one person stands up, 
it stiffens the spines of those around them.

Cheri's story:  Well, the other day, we were at Walmart and I was in line and saw all these magazines and I thought, "Hmm, I would LOVE to stand up for morality, but I've never come across that SI issue (thank goodness) so I haven't had the opportunity."  Then, two minutes later, I'm talking with my cashier and suddenly realize that there are 2 sections with that SI issue, right behind her head!  I couldn't even look at her without seeing them.  And no, Heidi, it is not a HALF naked girl, she is truly bare!  I don't care what her arms may be covering.  Anyway, I was SHOCKED and knew I had to act.

So I asked for a manager.  Not there.  So I asked for the assistant manager.  He came over and I said exactly what Heidi suggested.  He went to find out what they could do and told me that they had to call their supplier to have them pull them from the shelves but then also told me to call 1-800-WALMART to complain.  I have to do that still.  But he did say, "You are probably bringing something up that a lot of other people are offended by too and haven't said anything about.  It is probably something the entire company would be concerned about, so please call."  Believe me, I will.

Holley's story:  Today I went grocery shopping and lo and behold there was the Sports Illustrated Magazine. I felt pretty strongly that I should say something but I started getting pretty nervous. I'm not very good about expressing myself, especially when something bugs me. But since I'd read the blog post, and already had in my head how the conversation should go, I decided to go for it.

I asked to speak to the manager; he was close by. I said, "I'd like to make a complaint about the porn you have in the check out aisle." He sounded pretty alarmed at first: "What?" And I said, "The Sports Illustrated magazine, have you seen it?" Then he became very apologetic (just like Heidi said!) He said he'd talk to the store manager and hopefully get it removed. I thanked him and told him that I bring my kids here and don't want them to be exposed to that kind of thing. He pretty much repeated what he said before so hopefully he'll actually do it!

I was totally sweating when I left the store, but I felt good. I didn't make a scene, didn't get mad, didn't cry, just expressed my concerns. So we'll see if the magazines get removed, but at least I did something right?

THANK YOU all who are involved in this cause, for Heidi for bringing it to our attention, and for those of you who have courageously faced this situation.  I know we will each face this situation, so thank you for supplying the words to say and the courageous examples to follow!  

Any others you want to share?

No comments: