Love to Hear From You

BloggingWithKerri@gmail.com

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Carter's Reading

At the end of naps, I can usually find Carter here:
reading a story to Alana,
regardless of whether her naptime was really over or not.
But right now, I don't care if he wakes her up;
HE'S TEACHING HIMSELF TO READ!!!
It's incredible to watch his mind learn these words and how the text, pictures, and story all fit together!

It all started last Wednesday when he went into her room to entertain her while I rested for a few more minutes. After 10 minutes or so, I stopped and listened really closely, and YES, sure enough I heard him reading a story word for word, very intentionally. I ran down to get my camera! Unfortunately, I taped TOO much, and the file is too big to post on blogger OR Youtube--dag nabit! It was "The Three Bears", a story he has heard, but not a book we read often, so he wasn't telling the story from memory. It was so incredible!


A favorite moment was when I asked him to tell us (the live studio audience, if you will) how old he was because we could not believe he, a three year old, was reading.
Carter, how old are you?
5
Um, no, tell me the truth...how old are you?
I'm 5, but almost.
Ok, you're almost 5, but before you're 5, you have to turn what?
4
And are you 4 yet?
Um, no, but I just am 5!
You sure act like a 5 year old! Will you remind me that you are only a 3 year old reading this book?
No, because I'm 5.
OK. Got it!

This video doesn't nearly show you what he is doing right now!
But it gives you an idea how much they love reading together!


6 comments:

Stephanee said...

He is so cute. It's so wonderful when older siblings do things like that for younger ones.

Jennie said...

That is awesome.

Heidi said...

So great! I can't seem to watch the video. Any suggestions?

Katie said...

Wow! We knew Carter was amazing, but that is REALLY amazing! BTW, I love Alana's bed stuff:)

The Burgoynes said...

Kerri, why can't I access the video? It says I have to accept your request.

Kerri said...

I fixed the video :)