Today was C is for Cobwebs. Um...I'm an arachnophobic...and I chose this topic...good going.
Proof? When I was little, Cheri would chase me around the house with the S encyclopedia open to the pics of spiders and ughhhh...I still shiver thinking about it :) Steve is known to come home finding little cups along the floor like a land mine--housing spiders and bugs b/c I just can't stand killing them (not b/c I'm some soft-hearted kind soul, but b/c it just grosses me out! yuck! Plus, then Steve supports the catch and release philosophy...to each his own) Yet somehow as a Mom I've learned to stomach those fears for at least 2 hours to give the kids a lesson they'd love.
C is for Cobwebs: We did some cute crafts, like making cobwebs by cutting slits in paper plates and then threading yarn in and out and every which way to make the web. Kinda tricky at first, but they soon got the hang of it. And making paper spiders hanging by a web to hang as a halloween decoration.
Then we read this:
and of COURSE we then had to go see if the eensy-weensy spiders came to OUR house. So they found all of OUR water spouts and were SO excited to see the webs on them!
And lucky for us, we had a beautiful big web on the top of our garage the kids LOVED to see, and we even found the eensy-weensy spider in the web and watched it move along!
The downfall was that I had Steve catch a spider and put it in a jar for the kids to observe. A great idea, yes, and they loved looking at it, but ew, it made me shiver everytime I glanced its way.
Raffi's "There's a Spider on the Floor" song was a hit, too, and Hap Palmer's "Itsy Bitsy Spider".
And to top it off....what a snack!
Who do you think is having more fun, the kids or the moms?
I think it's a tie.







2 comments:
you all are such great teachers. I am going to do that snack idea.
It is just so fun to teach little ones, they are so excited to learn everything! I say it's the best job around. :) Glad you are having tons of fun with it.
Post a Comment