Love to Hear From You

BloggingWithKerri@gmail.com

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Bedtime Stories

Bedtime at our house is like baking chocolate chip cookie.  Most of the time it's really really sweet.  There's a lot that goes into those final moments before turning out the lights.  It's a lot of work, but when it's all done it's so sweet.  And the little morsels of goodness exist in moments like this, when everyone is peaceful and calm.
The other day 2 friends joined us at bedtime while their parents were out and it was the most peaceful evening ever!  Carter read with the boys for an hour,

while the girls read to each other, too, ...and colored, and read, and colored some more.

Reading bedtime stories is the best part of our day.  While I'm putting Alana to bed, Carter reads to Addison until I can come into their room.  Then we read a story or two, and you all know how much that helps kids settle down.  Our newer rule is that I read while their head is on their pillow.  I show the pictures when I'm done with a page -- a small trick, but it has really helped the bedtime roudiness.  The other thing we loved was reading big chapter books together.  We just finished Indian in the Cupboard.  I read with the lights off as much as I can, and often I could leave the room after with a hug and a kiss, and not another word from the kids.   Ahhh....see how that is as wonderful as a chocolate chip cookie?

No comments: