Chips
Homemade Salsa
3 Jars of Babyfood
Garden Veggie Sticks (sounds healthier that it really is...kind of chip-like things, similar to the veggie rainbow pasta...can you really count that as veggie?)
Ice Cream
This was essential ammunition for me this evening. I had a mission...I HAD to finish my book. Not HAD to in a "this-book-is-way-overdue-and-at-this-rate-I-may-as-well-buy-a-brick-with-my-name-engraved-as-a-high-library-donor-if-I don't-turn-it-in-today" kind of way but in the "let's-face-it-I'm-addicted-so-let's-rush-to-the-end-to-get-back-to-life" kind of way. Fess up. You've been there too. With Twilight. Anyway, so there I was, at the end. The climax. I couldn't put it down. Kids wanted me. What was I to do? I said, "You want a snack?" Which was probably intended more as a declaration than a question. So out came the chips and salsa. It occupied them (even Alana could pick up the chunky parts by herself). What? You're making a sound? Here, have this...enter the next thing. And then the next. Then the next. Anything to keep them occupied! And when they want to go play again, I bring out the big guns. Ice cream. Seconds on ice cream. Sure, kids. We're having ice cream for dinner. Oh, the shame. But oh, the joy of finishing the book! I guess we'll get our lives back tomorrow.
My book group meets every 2 months or so...and it's necessarily that far apart because the way I read, I can't put a book down for about 5 days--I zoom through it, serve ice cream to my kids for dinner, don't clean, barely entertain the kids, for the sake of reading the book...can you picture it now? So, the books HAVE to be spread out that much for the sake of the happiness of my family!



5 comments:
I'm sold. I will borrow it from my sister-in-law this weekend.
Ice cream for dinner is totally okay.
So are chips and salsa.
By the way, I just read The Forgotten Garden. 550 pages in 2 1/2 days. I liked it! (Obviously.) I recommend it.
I had the same experience while reading this book. It was SO addicting! I had to tear myself away from it so I could read the actual book my club was reading for the month. It was painful.
I'll have to read it...especially since the author spells her name right :)
I did the child neglect thing too when I read this book. Don't feel too bad. I fed my children graham crackers for dinner one night this week for other reasons. We've all been there. And at least ice cream is in the dairy group and salsa has vegetables in it. That's nutrition!
I am totally the same way. I think this is why I haven't read a book in a while, because last time I did I was so neglectful. Maybe its time to rediscover reading...hmm...
Post a Comment