Love to Hear From You

BloggingWithKerri@gmail.com

Saturday, June 18, 2011

How to Make Creamy Ice Cream with just one ingredient

Yes sir, you heard it right.
Creamy, Delicious. Smooth and Rich.
Soft-serve ice cream with just one ingredient.
No sugar added.
No added dairy.
No artificial anything.
Just yummy pureness.

The ingredient:
Banana!

I know I lost some of you right there who are turned off by our Monkey-like tendencies,
...Heidi...Rebecca...who else?

Here's the how to:

Peel some over ripe bananas.
Cut into slices.
Put on a plate and freeze.
Whiz them up in a blender, scraping the sides as you go.

 
My kids LOVE this, and I am so happy to give it to them over any of the other sugared-up ice cream in the freezer (because, let's be honest, I just like to save that for myself!)

I was surprised at this bit of kitchen wizardry; I assumed that a blended banana would be flaky or icy. But no — it makes creamy, rich ice cream.  Be sure they're really ripe, though, to avoid that green aftertaste. And yum -- experiment with adding in another ingredient or two, like a tablespoon of peanut butter and another of honey, or some chocolate chips or hot cocoa mix. Delicious!

Have you ever tried frozen-banana ice cream? Try it! It's an easy way to stay cool and use up over-ripe bananas at the same time.

Other summer treats that we love:
  • Frozen Gogurts (yogurt in a tube).  Stick the box in the freezer when you get home.  Done.
  • Frozen Yogurt.  Stick a popsicle stick through the top of a yogurt cup (lid still on) and freeze.  Remove the container when frozen solid, and you've got a frozen yogurt pop.
  • Frozen Pudding Pop.  Same as the yogurt, but with a pudding cup.
  • Frozen Banana.  Just stick a popsicle stick in it, freeze, you're done.  Oh, not yet...dip in melted chocolate.  Ok, now you're done.
  • Frozen Smoothie Pops.  Poor your extra fruit smoothies into popsicle molds.
What other treats do you do?

    4 comments:

    Braden and Cheri said...

    Frozen GRAPES. Yum...

    You can delete this comment...but I really don't like banana ice cream. It's just too banana-y. I think adding the peanut butter would make it dreamy, but I haven't liked it when I've had it straight up banana. Oh well, kids love it!

    Kerri said...

    Oh yes, the disclaimer:

    If you don't like bananas, you won't like it, because yes, it tastes like bananas.

    And if you don't like banana ice cream in general, again, it's not for you...

    But it's a wonderful alternative for a frozen treat for the kids.

    Kami said...

    I love the banana ice cream! And I know this sounds really weird, but you can soak 1/2 C. or less of pine nuts in water overnight and add them to the banana mixture, it adds a ton of protein and makes it more a meal, but it's super rich so you can't eat too much at once. We like a scoop of it on our waffles instead of syrup.

    the Rowleys said...

    I'd never heard of frozen banana ice cream. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks!