Love to Hear From You

BloggingWithKerri@gmail.com

Friday, September 21, 2012

First Days of School

Something happens every year around Back-to-School time.  As these little folks grow into bigger folks I realize how old I'm getting...For the first time in my life, I have a kid in school all day. I'm packing school lunches.  I'm now part of that huge chaos of cars trying to pick up school kids at 3.  But with all this I don't think I could be happier about Carter's class at school!

Carter: Our First Grader
 Look at those missing two front teeth!!  
That's the perfect 1st grade picture!
  • For one thing, Carter has the same teacher he had last year in kindergarten!  That is SUCH a huge blessing!  She is such a phenomenal teacher and does excels at teaching to the individual whole child.  She and I really became a great team working for Carter's education and challenging him to tap into his potential.  First day of school came and we had NO new-teacher jitters.  It was awesome!  He already knew her expectations and she already knew his...everythings (abilities, quirks, etc.)  This school year just seems like a natural flow from last year.
  • Second, he's in a 1st/2nd grade combined class. This is AWESOME!  The class is taught in a way that allows kids to learn at their own level.  It's a bit "Little House on the Prairie" -esq, one-room school house style.  And according to research, this is an ideal way for children to learn.  Who knew!   
  • He is so happy to go to school!  We have such a cheerful Carter since school started and we are loving it!
  • He is so responsible, too.  He comes home, has a snack, and gets right to work in his "homework station" to get his homework done, and then on to practicing the piano.  I am so impressed when friends ring the doorbell to play and he lets them know he's doing these things and will have to wait.
Addison: Our Preschooler

 Boy, has ANY kid ever counted down to preschool like Addison!!  It all started last year when we took Carter to kindergarten and would see his preschool teacher directing traffic.  (Yes, the preschool is at the elementary school).  DAILY, Addison would ask her when he would be in her class.  And we just kept hoping and hoping that he would one day get her as his teacher!  

Getting into the 4-year old preschool is tough -- space is limited, and everyone in the 3-year-old program gets first dibs.  So you can understand my struggle when I chose to not enroll him last year so I could do at home preschool with him and 3 friends.  I knew doing so would forfeit our spot this year.  So when they called us and told us they reserved a spot for Addison WE WERE THRILLED!!!!!!  SO excited!!!  He got IN to preschool.  And he got Carter's old teacher.  It seems that all of Addison's wishes have come true!  

  • He loves preschool!!  He loves his teacher!!  He always knew he would and waited all year to be in this class.
  • He has 3 other dear friends from church in his class, and already knew 2 other neighborhood kids we've seen at the park.
  • He has all morning to spend time with me and Alana, then goes to preschool just in time for Alana's quiet time.  I've really seen the two of them bond more and more (if that was even possible!)  I thought afternoon school wouldn't be so great, but turns out I couldn't have asked for anything better!
  • He WANTS homework!  While Carter is doing his, he often asks if he can do homework, too!   Print a handwriting sheet, and bam -- insta-homework for a preschooler!
  • He's so excited to tell us about the different toys and stations he chooses at free time, but can rarely remember who he sits with besides Logan, Ali, and Jared!

So life is pretty awesome around here.  We're back in the groove of routine.  I ride my bike or rollerblade to the school 3 times a day, about 2 miles round trip each time.  (School drop off, Preschool Drop off, then school pick up).  And as Addison mastered the riding-a-two-wheeler skill this summer, he keeps right up with Carter on these bike rides!  My lunch-menu planning is keeping steady, and my weekly volunteering in the classroom started this week.  And now with 2 in school and one in quiet time, I now have at least a little time to:
  • blog
  • pin
  • read
  • relax
  • bake
  • go to appointments with less kids in tow (yea!)
  • and do the other equally important things like fold the laundry, put away breakfast (yes, sometimes it waits til now...gross, I know), organize closets and the garage!
  • etc. etc. etc.
Do you ever wonder how you will spend your time when all the kids are in school?  Will you go back to work? Do you have hobbies to sustain you?  I often wonder this myself.  But this I know, the PTO will be happy to have me!

2 comments:

Jennie said...

My kids and I are sure happy to share school with Carter and Addison. It is nice to see their smiling faces each day.

The Burgoynes said...

ha ha! Your list of things to do used to be my nightmare list -- now it's my dream list! That would be so nice to have time to do things like that. ;)