The other day Alana was pushing the shopping cart around, filled to the brim with dolls and animals. As she walked into the kitchen, Steve could hear her talking to herself in her imaginative play. In a quiet voice, mumbling to herself, yet with a panicked tone she started saying:
Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh.
...
I forgot my credit card!
And off she dashed out of the room. Moments later she returned. This time, Steve couldn't help but interrupt the scene and ask, "Do you have your credit card?" In a very grown-up way Alana sighed with relief,
Yes, and my museum pass!
What a riot! Lest you think these two things happen to me often, let me clarify! Clearly, she has to get this scenario somewhere. Most often when I'm at the store I panic quietly to myself as I'm unloading my loaded cart wondering if I have my CC...and I always do. But I do imagine that scenario embarrassedly having to put everything back. I remember a few times when the store would put my Mom's grocery cart(s) in their refrigerator so she could run home for her purse! But so far, that hasn't happened to me.
But the kids do hear me say, "I don't have my credit card," when they are asking to go somewhere that costs money. And when they want to go to the museum, they hear the other one as well. So that's where the context comes from.
Here's another:
Yesterday was Carter and Addison's school open house.
Me: "Okay everyone, it's time to go to the open house."
Alana, in a worried voice: "But Mom, bugs will get in our Open House!"
Adorable!
I know there's another I'm not remembering right now. I'll update it when I can remember :)



1 comment:
I just love the way kids think, and love it when their words show us their thought processes! So funny!
Post a Comment