Love to Hear From You

BloggingWithKerri@gmail.com

Monday, August 6, 2012

Talkin 'bout the Good Ol' Days

Who do you think you are?
 Somehow I got bit by the Family History bug and have loved researching names and people that are on Steve's family tree.

But a lot of my research thus far have been names, dates, and places.
Thanks to Steve's Dad, he helped me transform a lot of that into stories, feelings, and faces.
Steve's Brother Brian, His Great-Uncle Bill, Steve's Dad Tim, Steve's Grandma Elizabeth, and Steve.
We invited Steve's Grandma Elizabeth and her brother Bill over recently.  For a couple of hours they told us stories about growing up together.  About when their mom died when they were kids (Tessie, where Alana gets her middle name).  About their Aunt who raised them.  And even about, yes, walking to school up hill, and in some cases, both ways.

As we were together, something in my heart was so alive, felt so connected with these people we were talking about.  But nothing matched what I felt when I handed Bill a 1920 census that I had printed out and he and Grandma were so excited to recognize the names of their neighbors.  "Elizabeth, remember this guy", and that guy, and "oh yeah, he lived down the street in the white house", etc.

Me, Addison, Great-Uncle Bill, Alana, Great-Grandma, Steve, Carter
It was just a moment that names became people, and that dates became occasions.  And it is a moment I want to remember.

No comments: