Love to Hear From You

BloggingWithKerri@gmail.com

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Illinois Uncovered...

Alright loyal followers of my blog.  We have already determined that there is a cave in Illinois.  But as if that wasn't surprising enough, this weekend we discovered that there are still many more surprises that the great plains have to offer.  Like This:
This is in Matthiesen State Park.
Walking along the river bottom of a canyon (yes, we are still talking about Illinois)...
we found a system of caves
that opened up to the lagoon with the waterfall!
People were swimming, and climbing, and sliding down the rocks.  (When I say people, I do mean folks without 3 kids in tow).
And with three little kids in tow, we realized something big that helped us have a wonderful time:
Adults go hiking for the views and fresh air...
Kids go hiking to throw rocks in the river and squish in the mud...
As soon as we grasped that reality, "be careful and keep your clothes clean" surrendered to "sure, let's climb up that mountain side and slide down in the mud!"
And it became all about the experience. Steve paused to teach them how to skip rocks.
We let their shoes get muddy so that they could have moments like this to help each other out, support each other, and encourage each other to try, even though it was scary.
We had planned to camp at these state parks overnight, but as we were driving down on Friday night, Steve got a call from work and had to turn around.  Disappointed as they were, we bribed the kids with ice cream sandwiches and s'mores to camp out in the backyard.  We have not as yet camped in a campground (can you believe it)!
I really do LOVE these adventures with our family.  We've reached this really happy point in our lives where all the kids are potty trained and independent walkers...imagine that!   We feel like we finally get to go and enjoy things together, not just have a scene change for our babysitting.  We're able to say "Yes" more and "No" less.  We're going out; doing; living in a new way than we have in the past.  And it feels great.

5 comments:

Katie said...

I've really been enjoying all your new posts! Amazing Maduras!

Braden and Cheri said...

have not yet camped in a campground...this summer. Because I distinctly remember the worst camping trip of my LIFE was at a campground and I KNOW you were there too. (Which is NOT what made it the worst camping trip of my life. If you hadn't been there, it would have been the worst camping trip in the entire history of all humankind.)

Ashley said...

Seriously, why didn't we ever do this before we moved?

Kerri said...

Oh my gosh, ri! You are RIGHT! How did I space that? Oh yeah, because we blocked it out of our MEMORY! And we had to as that was the only way we would ever willingly get back in a tent. Blech. And actually, we camped at that reunion when our babies were 1 years old and crawling in the swampy mud. Yep...we haven't had a good track record with real camping....I just suppose the backyard camping is the way to go for us ... and hey, that means we are really convenient house guests :)

Jennie said...

I love looking at your blog, you always give me great ideas or places to visit. My kids will love this place anywhere with mud. :)