Love to Hear From You

BloggingWithKerri@gmail.com

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Birthday Post Take Two -- The Enchantment

to view "take one" click here or just scroll down to the next post.

On the Road Again
When all was said and done (meaning our cheeks were frozen and our boots were soaked) we decided to call it a day and end our snow hiking (uh, er -- trekking) for the day.  I was in birthday heaven, so did not mind if we went home right then (after all, I had more letters to read in the car).  But, you and I both know Steve, so driving over more roads like these to another surprise destination was exactly what he had in store:
Looks mountainous, doesn't it.  But remember, we're still in the Midwestern Plains.  This is what we refer to as Rolling Hills...despite the drastic slopes on both sides.

The Enchantment
After 30 minutes of more mysterious driving, we ultimately stopped here (could have been because it was the only building we saw for miles.  No, that couldn't have been it.  Steve actually had an unprecedented surprise up his sleeve.)  When it came into view, well...Wow.
Welcome to:  The Inn at Irish Hollow (click here for their website and more pictures).

If the snow hiking adventure could be topped, this is what did it.  The most amazing Bed & Breakfast I have ever seen.  Wow.  Classy.  Incredibly.  Decorated with the utmost taste.  Not a porcelain kitty, lacy doily, or skirted kitty cat to be found.  No, this place was so stately and beautiful, it made our home decor cry.  Upon check-in (again, they knew us by name), I found out that we weren't actually staying in the Inn..Oh no...he had something far better planned for me.  Steve had booked us our very own cottage!

That's it.  It's settled.  I'm living a dream.  Perhaps a fairy tale life.

This is our cottage:
 And we took LOTS of pictures,


so that we could remember this place forever!
To read the review I added to the Guest's Journal, click the picture below.   (I confess, this place was amazing and enchanted, so it made me write so romantically poetic.  I didn't know I had it in me.)
Fried Green Tomatoes--more than a movie title
Shortly after arriving at our cottage, we got all dolled up and went to the fanciest restaurant in Galena -- 9 miles away.  (Well, second fanciest...Steve knew I wouldn't be too keen on the other menu of veal, lobster, and roasted quail entrees...good job, Steve).  Fried Green Tomatoes -- That's the name of the restaurant.  And we actually ordered fried green tomatoes to eat and mmmmm, I want more right now.  Best real Italian food I'd had in a looong time!

See:  My spinach & garlic tortelloni with tomatoes, zucchini, and asparagus, all in a heavenly cream sauce.
(Note to self:  That's it.  I'm scratching my dinner plans and will attempt to reinvent a similar dish tonight.  Sorry cordon bleu, you'll have to wait.)...and will the rest of you, for the rest of the story...

No comments: