Love to Hear From You

BloggingWithKerri@gmail.com

Friday, June 18, 2010

Kids need Dads for these kinds of adventures:


Steve & Carter went on a day trip canoeing in Iowa.  I got a quick glimpse of what it was like as they were getting ready for bed.  Observe:

"We were in a canoe, in a big river, and there was lightening and thunder and rain all around!"

Hmmmm...that canoe didn't happen to be metal, did it?

-------------------------------------------
Other highlights of the trip:
1)  Carter's facination with the outhouse:  "WOW, that's a long way down!"  
      "That's no wishin' well, son."  
       Now, Carter didn't comment on the bad smells that usually accompany outhouses, but he did make a point to comment when they got to Dairy Queen on the way back:  "Wow, this bathroom smells GREAT!  Like cinnamon!"

2)  After canoeing, they went exploring in a cave.  They had to shimmy their way in through a narrow opening, which Carter slipped through faster than Steve and was off and courageous in no time  Steve could barely keep up with him and he wanted to go just as far as all of his big kid friends (meaning, the 17-18 year old teens that went with them!) 

The guys and girls claimed Carter as their little mascot!  He felt like a million bucks with you guys!!!  Thank you ALL for loving him, taking care of him, and bringing him home safely (aside from the Vitamin Water incident and rock that fell on his head!)  I hope he grows up to be like you!

3)  Thank goodness the youth all use clean language.  This was evidenced a few days after he'd come home, and Carter asked me, Mom, what does Heck mean?  "Use it in a sentence."  "What the HECK?"  Oh my!  Then the next one he asked:  "Mom, do you know what Golly is?"  Like what, Carter?  "Good Golly!"  {Yep, straight from his ol' man}  Is there anything else that you've heard?  "What the FREAK?"  I thought we were done with such grown up phrases until the next day when we got in the car, and he said "Let's Cruise, Baby!"  He's such a crack up sometimes!  Don't worry.  I think he's back into saying "What in the World?" and other more socially acceptable phrases for a 4 year old.

3 comments:

Braden and Cheri said...

I am just amazed at Carter's maturity. Whenever I hear about how his brain works, I just think "WOW!!" I mean, my girls are smart and all, but Carter is just quick as a whip.

Katie said...

I am not at all surprised that he wanted to and could keep up with all those big kids! I love the phrases he came home with! What a fun adventure!

Stephanee said...

Sooooo funny. We sure do have great youth in our ward. I laughed about the phrases he learned from them. Just wait 'til he goes to school (where some kids have not been taught to not use profanity) and comes home and says "Mom, what does ____ mean?"