Love to Hear From You

BloggingWithKerri@gmail.com

Thursday, November 10, 2011

life's mystery

Can someone explain why so many little kids sleep upside down?

All my kids do it, until it seems, they are about 4 and decide to do the whole pillow-head orientation thing...I mean, really, I know it's so common, but why do so many kids do it?  It seems like this innate rebellion against the right way to do things...

Or maybe we are all supposed to sleep upside down.  After all, if that's what they do naturally...

Similar to the shoe-on-the-wrong-foot phenomenon.   No matter how hard kids try to remember which shoe goes on which foot, they ALWAYS get it wrong.  Until they learn differently, it seems the left shoe ALWAYS makes it on the right foot, and the right shoe ALWAYS makes it on the left foot, until a smiling child comes rushing up and asks, "Did I get it right?"  And we wisely remind them that no, they got it backwards....again. 

But what about those times when we hug our little ones and just congratulate them on a job well done, and let them wear their shoes that way for a day.  Or let them sleep on their beds all lopsided and upside down.  Are we doing them a disservice?  No.  We are letting them be kids.  And we are taking a moment to live that moment with them.

God bless these moments.

And help us take time to let our kids be kids before teaching them OUR ways too fast.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Seriously, how do they ALWAYS get the shoes on the wrong foot? Shouldn't it be on the correct one half the time? And I don't even care, I'm just glad they did it themselves.