Today was a cool day. Four times today, I was the lucky participant in some "Just Stopped By"s.
First I just stopped by a friend's house on my way home from Carter's school. It was unexpected, but so fun! And she assured me she didn't mind hanging out, despite her PJs!
Then right when I got home, another friend called and asked if it were okay if she just stopped by. No reason. Just to talk. Sure, we could have talked on the phone, but why not just stop by! So she did. So fun.
Then, while she was there, that first friend decided to return the favor and just stopped by for her kid to play at our house this time. So fun.
Then after naps, another friend just stopped by with her kids on a friendly neighborhood walk. Loved it!
Just Stopped By. I'm not sure they happen as often as they used to. Is it possible that the accessibility of cell phones, texting, and such have decreased that element of surprise, just thinking of you, just stopped by-ness?
How do you feel about it? Do you love it? Love knowing that someone was thinking of you all of a sudden? Or does it embarrass you because they may catch you in more of an unprepared state?
There's something special about that personal contact. A shared moment. A closeness in offering a glass of water and a conversation on your couch, even if you have to move your laundry.
We all understand it. We do laundry on our couches, too.
All these just stopped bys today uplifted me more than the individual phone calls would have separately!
So to borrow a tagline of a dear friend, don't be afraid to just stop by. Live a tactile life. Be a tangible friend.
10 months ago




4 comments:
I would LOVE people to just stop by. I often want to just stop by people's homes, but feel that I can't because of x, y, or z.
I will admit, though, that I hate when people stop by and catch the mess everywhere. Yes, I know they have the mess at their house too, but I really WANT to be cleaner and more on top of things, so to come upon my mess is a little hard for me. I will take, and have taken, a few minutes to spruce things up, even if they are already in my house, just so I can enjoy the visit better.
When are you going to just stop by?!
I absolutely LOVE when friends just stop by. But I never do it to other people. I think I'm always afraid that I'm intruding. Chances are I won't be (or they'll tell me if they were about to head out).
Cheri--I used to apologize for messes as if it weren't like that all the time. Now I just say, "Sorry about the mess. Not that it's out of the ordinary or anything. Just sorry you have to step over things." Ha!
We must be related, I would love for someone to just stop by. I remember women doing this with my Mom all the time when I was growing up. What's changed? It seems everyone I know already has their own agenda and they're very busy. I don't think I would ever just stop by any of my friends homes. They wouldn't care about the mess... they'd just be really busy and I'd feel like I was stopping them from getting something done.
Cheri, I've never seen your home a mess, but if it is at times it's only because you're so talented you're off creating some incredible thing! I'd take talent over an immaculate home any day!
We love having friends just stop by. It makes me feel like I am being thought of and of course Jeffrey loves to see Kerri any time he can. Lol! It was so fun!
Post a Comment