Love to Hear From You

BloggingWithKerri@gmail.com

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

44 hours of strenuous Car Trip and We Survived!

This may go down in our journaled history as probably the most flawless trip we've ever had as a family.  And it all begins with the perfect road trip.
Addison, who REALLY looks like Carter in this pic!

I have never been so prepared for a trip IN MY ENTIRE LIFE!

On Monday, All the grocery shopping, laundry, and library-searching was done. 
On Tuesday, All the packing was done.
On Wednesday, We cleaned the car, inside and out. 
On Thursday, We packed the car.
On Friday, We cleaned the house.  When the kids went to sleep, I secretly packed the car with their activities.
And on Friday night, (on Road-Trip Eve), Steve and I went to bed by 10:00.

WHEN, I repeat, WHEN have I ever gone to bed at a reasonable hour before a trip?  WHEN had I ever been completely packed and ready to go, with the laundry done, floors mopped, and sills dusted?  WHEN have I ever left on a trip devoid of last-minute stress?  It was so refreshing!  I highly recommend it!

And as a tidbit--we also did fun things every day -- parks, libraries, museums, etc.  It wasn't just work, work, work all week.  It was so great to break down all the prep work into smaller steps!
Carter, the original.
And No, I would NEVER drive with my kid like this...We were stopped to switch drivers! But it sure looks crazy, doesn't it!
And speaking of breaking big jobs into smaller goals, I apply the same principle to my 22-hour drive.  We break it down into smaller reachable destinations to get out and wiggle and explore.  So Saturday's 12-hour drive to Sidney, Nebraska, where we stayed, was peppered with stops at the Train Museum in Colfax, IA and the Children's Museum in Lincoln, NE.  The BEST way to travel, I guarantee it.
Alana, the belle of the car
4 hours to the Train museum.
4 hours to the Children's museum.
Then 4 hours to the hotel.
Measured success.
Road Trip bliss.

The next day had 2 strikes against it:
1) it was Sunday, so we weren't going to visit places of recreation and
2) We were in Wyoming so there was NOTHING AT ALL anyways!

But we still had a great time with all the activities I'd packed in the car, like stringing pony beads on pipe cleaners:
 or sorting cotton balls into egg cartons:
For a more complete tutorial of our activities, see my post on fiverealmoms.com or the 101 Road Trip Tips from last year.

1 comment:

Stephanee said...

So glad you had such an awesome trip.