Did you ever see the commercial where a little boy was calling
"Here kitty, kitty. Here kitty, kitty"
and the camera panned across the fence to a confused looking pig?
It was good stuff.
(stock photo...not my kid)
Good for a laugh to poke fun of the obvious.
But that wouldn't happen to me. Oh no. Not my kids.
I culture them. I read to them.
I take them to zoos and quiz them since they're born of "What does a ___ say".
Duh, my kids know the difference between farm animals.
Ever since we got married, Steve thought it would be funny to "mess up" some kids and convince them from birth that a pig was called a cat, that a pencil was called a marker, etc. "Then they'll get to kindergarten, and whoa, won't they be in for a surprise." {This is coming from the man that calls his brush a comb, and a notebook a folder}.
Up until now, I thought he was joking. Now I'm beginning to wonder if something has been happening behind my back after the kids are tucked in.
Observe:
A few months ago I was driving Carter to preschool when he excitedly points,
"A COW! A COW!"
I look up and what did I see?
Okay, so the spots through him off. He admitted his error quickly and laughed it off.
But THEN, on our way home, Addison piped up,
"A SHEEP! A SHEEP!"
Oh dear,
we've got to get out more!
So we did get out more.
It's been at least 4 months, and school is going to start again.
Today we went to a local zoo. This was fun. We were doing well. Until:
DOGS, Mom, DOGS!
But let it be known it was NOT my child
that called this a horse:
This post ought to convince you that we live nowhere NEAR farms. So why my neighbors have horses in the middle of suburbia is beyond me.








3 comments:
Lars Capener was taught the Danish pronunciation for animal sounds when he was little (his Mother was Danish) and he WAS surprised when he went to kindergarten (and mocked a little, apparently!)
That's too funny! kids say the funniest things. I wish I had a constant tape recorder with me sometimes. Say hi to the Michells I miss my Chicago ward. Are you in Westchester? or did they move to you somewhere?
how funny! I have yet to experience that, but I'm sure it will be hilarious when I do!
Post a Comment